Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Off To School We Go...

And so it begins...
Today was the first full day of school for Eli and Bella. Well, a full day for them- three hours.
Our morning began at 3:30 a.m. when Eli crawled into bed with me. It took me a long time to finally go back to sleep. After finally falling asleep, in walked Bella, who stood next to the bed crying (in her sleepy, raspy voice), "Mooommmmy, Mooommmmmy." Somehow, I ended up in the middle of them both. Once again, I could not go back to sleep. I finally crawled out of bed around 5:30, somehow managing not to wake either of them from their peaceful slumber.
Whew! I really wanted their first day to go smoothly, and that starts with a good night of sleep. Side note... Yes, Bella is wearing Eli's pjs. She really likes wearing his pjs... and his undies.

When Bella woke up, I immediately started pumping her up for school as I knew she may be a little apprehensive. In a way, I think I was pumping myself up, too. I was not excited about taking both of my babies to school! It made me sad. We have fun together. I knew I was going to miss them. Bella helped me make a yummy breakfast, and then we went to wake Eli. This is very rare. Usually Eli is the one who wakes up before anyone (except Grandma).

After a good breakfast, they both got dressed, brushed their teeth and were ready to go.


They were both so excited when I told them we would be walking to school. What a fun thing to do! I was so glad we left early since the .4 mile walk took us 25 minutes. That was okay, though. We talked about what they might do at school today and sang songs as I urged them to stay out of the wet grass and on the sidewalk.


Eli and Bella held hands, tossed their backpacks in the air, and were just as carefree as ever.

All of that changed for Bella once the front doors of the school opened. She immediately glued herself to my leg. As we walked to her classroom, the sobbing began. I told her how much I loved her and that I knew she was going to have a great morning. I assured her I would be back and then had to peel her off of me and hand her Mrs. Kristy.

Mr. Eli was a different story. As we walked up to his classroom, he put his backpack on his hook and began to walk into the classroom. "Wait a minute," I said, "Can I have a hug?" He hugged my leg for a quick second, let go, did not even look at me, started walking and said, "I can go by myself, Mommy." I don't know what I expected, but it definitely wasn't that. I wanted to cry right there. Instead, I gave him a hug, told him I loved him, and let him walk himself into his classroom.

On the way out, another mom shadowed me as I inched past Bella's classroom. Her cries were silent, and I could not let her see me pass by her room. As I walked out the front door, Lyla in hand, and made my way way home, alone, I thought a lot about my sweet babies and wondered why they have grown so quickly. It made me so thankful for those years I have spent with them, doing things together each and everyday. We will still have our Friday mornings together, and Bella only goes to school two mornings a week. No matter how old they become, I will always see them as my little babies...


No comments:

Post a Comment