Thursday, March 11, 2010

Shark Attack!


Eli had his second soccer practice tonight. He had to wear shorts to show off his shin guards. He would not let me fold his socks down over his shin guards, so the socks covered his entire leg! I think he's beginning to understand that he has to do what the coach tells him to do. You certainly have to have a lot of patience to work with a group of kids this age. It's so much fun watching him play.





All of the little kids look so cute running around the field kicking the soccer ball around. When Coach Cooper had them dribbling their balls around orange cones, Eli was very deliberate when kicking the ball. I say deliberate, but gosh the way he was kicking was so s l o w. But, when it was time to dribble the ball down the field and kick the ball into the goal, he took off...





Guess we'll have to work on that you don't use your hands in soccer thing. For some reason, Eli really likes to fall down on the soccer field. This seems to be great fun for him. He did it several times tonight. It didn't help that he was getting laughs when he would do it. There's no falling down in soccer!



The other day I asked him, "What do you do when someone takes the ball from you?" He answered with excitement, "Fall down!" "No, Eli you don't fall down in soccer unless you trip and fall." Today, I showed him some You Tube videos of different soccer games. One clip we watched showed two players fall to the ground in celebration after a goal. Eli looked so excited to see this. He said to me, "See Mommy, they fall down." He was right; they did fall down.

We have a team name! It was decided that we would be called the Sharks! Here is Eli's very first team huddle. Shark Attack!!




When we got home, I asked him if he heard me cheering for him. With a cute little smile on his face, he said he did. I'm sure he doesn't know this yet, but I will always be his biggest fan! Go Sharks!

2 comments:

  1. Amanda, this post is awesome. I love the videos. It really makes me think about how I need to start filming Ryan's life. Bill's dad always has a camera when he is around, but that is not often enough. I love all of the videos, and you do have one talented little man on your hands. I mean he is really skilled to be able to dribble down the field like that. Usually kids his age take about 20 left turns then a couple of right turns and run backwards, then finally kick it beside the goal and start crying about it. I am so proud of him. What a big boy. I know you will always be his number one fan. Organized sports are too much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVED THIS POST!!! He is a very very good dribbler. He kept the ball so close to his foot and was so fast...that's so great! The falling down, is hilarious. Also, i love that you are watching soccer UTube videos. Too funnY! I have a huge smile on my face!

    ReplyDelete