Thursday, March 4, 2010

Eli's First Soccer Practice

And so it begins... I have been looking forward to the day Eli would begin playing sports. Not just hitting the ball in the backyard or shooting hoops in the living room, but looking forward to him being on an actual organized sports team. I thought he would probably play tee ball at four or five, so I was surprised to find out that he could start playing sports at the YMCA even though he isn't three yet. It didn't matter that I know absolutely nothing about soccer; he was going to play. Dad made me play soccer when I was around six or seven. After the first couple of practices, I didn't want to play anymore. It seemed like all we did was run up and down the field. Ugh! I would have rather been dancing. Anyway, we got all of the necessary equipment (except for the socks), I emailed Kim and Jenny to find out the appropriate way Eli should wear the shin guards and socks (I am still not sure if the shin guards should go under his pants or on top of his pants- Guess they're getting another email from me today), and for the past couple of days, I guess you could say Eli has been having a dress rehearsal for his soccer practice. He loves wearing his cleats and shin guards!

Tonight Eli had his very first soccer practice. On the way to practice, he asked, "Mommy, who is going to be there to watch me?" After telling him that I was going to be there to watch him, he wanted to know who else was going to be there. Guess it doesn't matter if I'm watching. He wanted to know if Grandma and Grandpa were going to watch him play. I had to explain the difference between practice and a real game. I told him there would be other little boys and girls on his team and that his coach, Coach Cooper, would be there. "What's a coach, Mommy?" he asked. I had not even thought that I may to explain what a coach does. When we got out of the car, with his ball in his hands and his soccer bag on his back, he was ready!

When we got to the field we both realized how cold it was, so I had to put on his big, puffy jacket. He looked so cute running around in that big thing. All of the parents were there cheering on their children and trying to help out. Seeing all of the dad's out there coaching their boys on the field really made me feel sad for Stephen and for Eli. I so wish he was here to do this with Eli.

Before going to practice, I wondered how well he would pay attention and do what was being asked of him. When we got there, I found out that he was the youngest player on the team. He did such a good job! He listened to the coach and did what the coach told him to do most of the time. Look at well he's listening in this picture.
They began by playing sink the ship. I had never heard of this before. One person stood with their legs spread apart and the other person had to try to kick the ball between their legs. Then all of the kids kicked their balls from one end of the field to the other, trying to kick it in the goal. Finally, it was time to take all of the balls away, all except one. The coach wanted them to practice only using one ball. So, Eli got the ball and took off with it. When someone caught up with him, they both just kind of stopped and looked at each other. What happened after that was quite comical as you can see in this video clip.

He was actually quite good, and most importantly, he had fun and wants to go back again. Their first game is March 22. GO ------ !! We don't have a team name yet. I'm not quite sure what will be on their shirts that have already been ordered if we don't have a team name. Just their name and number? Guess we'll find out next week. This is going to be so much fun!

2 comments:

  1. I am laughing out loud right now in my classroom watching that video. I do not have the sound on so all I can see is the footage, and it is priceless. All of that hard dribbling, then it looks like the kids asks if he can take it or not, then it is gone and Eli has finally given up. I love every minute of it. Good for him. He is a great dribbler, he goes forward instead of back, that is a plus. You know kate is comign to Auburn this summer to participate in my soccer camp, you are welcomed to come with Eli and Bella too! Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so cute! I just can't get enough of those pictures...and that video. He just colapsed in defeat. I love it!

    When we were picking our team name. I said, "Ok team, we have to think of something Green...because that's our team picture." One kid yelled out "Tiger!" Then everyone else wanted to be the Tigers. I said what about The Dinosaurs, or The Lizards, or Green Kicking Machines. They all vetoed together..."No! TIGERS!" So I said, "Ok, then we'll be the green tigers." Then one child yelled, "I want to be a purple tiger," The next one chimed in, "Yeah, and I want to be a yellow Tiger." I held up our jersey and explained that we were all green tigers...but I don't think they got that. But they love doing the cheer at the end of practice, "GOOOOO TIGERS!" Too funny!

    We'll have to talk after first games.

    ReplyDelete