Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Make Believe


Eli has definitely entered into the stage of make believe. This morning, he asked with great excitement in his voice, "Oh Mommy, do you see all of those little ducklings in the kitchen?" Did he have to ask? Of course I saw them. They were all swimming in the pond, under our dining room table. He went on to tell me that there was snake slithering around in the play area, and that there was a baby moose standing next to the front door. We came to the conclusion that the baby moose was waiting for us to leave so he could go outside. He's been making up things like this for a while, but it has become more frequent and elaborate just this week. I think reading What Would You Do With a Kangaroo? has really made his imagination soar when it comes to animals being in our house.

For some reason, Eli is scared of skunks. On the way home from Mom and Dad's the other night, there was a skunk walking on the side of the road. I, of course, pointed it out to Eli. When we got home, he was almost in tears talking about how the skunk was going to get him. He told me that he didn't want that stinky smell on him. While in his room last night, he said, "Look Mommy. There's a skunk." Playing along, I said, "Oh, I see it over there, and pointed to his open closet." He jumped up, got in my lap, and started to cry. Poor baby! I felt awful for scaring him like that. Guess I can play along as long as it's not a skunk he's talking about.


Nap time has been a problem since Eli stopped sleeping in his crib. Eli thinks of anything and everything he can to get out of bed. After getting out of bed for the third time today, I wasn't even going to listen to what he had to say. I mean he had water because he was thirsty, an extra blanket because he was cold, and he had Eddie and Mickey to sleep with him. What other stall tactic was he going to come up with now? I told him to go back to bed. He kept trying to tell me something, so I finally gave in, "What is it, Eli?" With concern in his eyes, he replied, "Mommy, Eddie keeps sitting up in bed." Eddie. What was that bear thinking disturbing Eli's nap like that? I told him to tell Eddie that Mommy said to lay down and stop getting up. This make-believe stage should be a fun one!

1 comment:

  1. Oh that is so funny. I remember Kate going through that stage 100%. I feel like she grew out of it, til at the birthday party she spilled some bubbles. I asked her who did it and she said the big dinosaur. I guess she did not grow out of it all the way, I mean I think she is pretty smart, blaming her problems on a dino! Eli is precious, poor baby about the skunk!

    ReplyDelete